Saturday, February 7, 2009

Transplant Day - February 6th- Day 0

The day we have been waiting for!
The First day of our new life. A day where we have been given a chance that Ryan can beat this, now it is up to Ryan body to do what it needs to do. And we will fight beside him all the way..

Ally arrived at 7 am and was pre - admitted and put in to the cutiest white hospital gowns...(pants, shirt and booties). She would not go to anyone else but her mommy....I guess that is what happens when you have not seen one of your children for 5 days....it breaks my heart....
So off went to the waiting room when they call you for surgery....I was worried that she would not go with the nurse in to the OR...they asked me if I was ok with her crying if she did...what could I say....so I said I guess so, this has to be done....so off she went and to my surprise she went quietly...(looking a bit scared but she did not cry) unless that happened once she was in the OR...we waited for what seemed like hours but was about an hour and a half and the DR. came out to tell me she was breathing on her own and all was good....They took 250 cc of her bone marrow to give to Ryan. The reason that amout is because Ally is so small, they could not take any more with out putting her at risk..She then went to recovery where she was out of sorts to say the least...she was very upset and in alot of pain ( Morphine was given x2 as her heart rate was up from the pain...) once she was calm I left her with Dave and went to clean Ryan old room to get all his things ready for the new isolation room. I also wanted to check in on Ryan to make sure he was doing ok...So needless to say this was a day of running from floor to floor..
With the help of Tanya and my parents we were able to go from Ryan to Ally with out worring about leaving them alone...I spent the afternoon upstair with Ryan wipping down his toys to bring into his new room and watching Ally bone marrow fuse into Ryan...He took the transplant great....no pre meds as Ally was such a good match and same blood time...so no real risk of any reaction....it toook 4 hours to run her bone marrow into Ryan but it was fine..ALL WENT WELL.
At about 6 pm I packed my stuff and said by to Dave and Ryan and went to see Ally just ot find out she could not leave as she had not peed all day, another concern.....
So we have to wait....she was in so much pain 9just crying and trying to get confortable.( oh how I wish I could have made it better) I held her and held her and finally she peed at about 7:15 so we were given the ok to leave....they administered so codine for the pain.

Ryan had his first bout of vomitting the night before...It was out of the blue, no warning..
It lasted about a minute and he said I feel better now...they say this can happen, they just feel sick and then they feel better... Ryan said mommy do you like the smell of my vomitt...I said now way, and then I asked him the same thing...he looked at me and said "NO"!!!!!!
I told him he was such a brave boy and his response to me was "yes I am" and off he went to sleep...the rest of the night was great.

Counts today :

WBC 1.0
RBC 84
PLT - 24

So dropping steadly we should see no whites tomorrow or about .1 or .2.....

To my sweet Alexandria,
You do no understand what you have given to your brother, but you have him the chance of life...As you get older we will explain this to you so you understand what a wonderful thing you have done. Without you " a perfect match and same blood type, ryan would not have the same chance to fight this disease.
You are truly Mommy and Daddy's angel, and I thank you so very much for being able to give him this hope. Hope for a life where he can do and be whatever he wants to be.
I have told your brother that you have given him your blood and he understands that your blood is in side of him and he said Mommy I love Ally and I am getting her good blood so I can get better and we can go home...

Sorry everyone for not posting this yesterday , I am sure you were all wondering.but by the time I got home I had no energy to do anything...

Thanks for all the prayers and please keep praying as this is the first step to a long road ahead. We now need Ryan body to except Ally's bone marrow and en graft...that ususally take about 2-3 weeks... and the we need him to stay in remission forever.........Ryan this is my hope and prayer for you, my sweet little boy....

XXXXXXX

8 comments:

  1. Thank god all our prayers were answered yesterday that transplant went well.
    Now the critical period is here 2-3 weeks for Ryan's little body to accept and our little angel Ally to recover.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
    Love
    Tina
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have amazing children. They are both so very brave. You have to live one day at a tiime until Ryan gets discharged. I will continue to pray for Ryan as I am sure everyone else will. He is strong, so are you. Prayer, Hope & Befief, it all works.
    Lots of Love - Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out about your family and Ryan's fight from the email and phone call to CFRB. I was so touched by your husband's call that I immediately requested healing for Ryan and all of you. I have had you all on my mind since Friday morning. I came to the blog to find out how Ryan and Ally are doing. I am pleased that things have gone well, and will continue to ask for healing and happiness for all of you. I hope life returns to normal for all of you very soon! An entire community is praying for you all!

    A Mom in Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Ryan and Allie, my beautiful sweet nephew and niece, I love you both so very much that you could never know. I can't wait to see you both. I think about you all every minute of everyday. Ryan, with all the prayers we send over the miles and so many people roaring for you, all the angels have to be watching over you!

    Well done Mom and Dad, yesterday was hard but that's done now. Your doing great and I can't tell you how proud we are of you both and the incredible strength you've shown.

    Hugs and Kisses to all XXXXXXXX
    Auntie Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that things went well yesterday. I was worried all day but it was great to read your update this morning. I am looking forward to hearing all of the great strides he makes each day and also little Ally. What an angel. Thank God for her.
    In my thoughts and prayers.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  6. From your neighbour Denise up the street , Thank you for posting the update I am sooo happy to hear that all went well and I am praying that Ryan accepts this and please please keep up posted with his progress when you have the energy. hugs and lots of prayers for all of you

    ReplyDelete
  7. From your neighbour Denise up the street , Thank you for posting the update I am sooo happy to hear that all went well and I am praying that Ryan accepts this and please please keep up posted with his progress when you have the energy. hugs and lots of prayers for all of you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue,
    I've been thinking about and praying for your babies all day yesterday... and I continue to pray for them. I admire your strength, you are handling this with such grace. I am wearing my LiveSTRONG band again for RYAN!
    Get some rest... your babies need you.

    Haily
    Virginia, USA

    ReplyDelete