Thursday, February 12, 2009

February 12th- Day + 6

I would like to mention a few things before I start today's blog.

I would like to wish my bestest friend Tina a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you are having a great day.

To Trish, Maggie, Shirley, Richard and my Mom and Dad, Dave and I would like to thank you for all your hard work in organizing yesterdays blood drive. I have been told that you had 116 pints of blood donated. That is another 348 people who can be helped. That is absolutely amazing...Thank you so much. We love you all.

To everyone who went to donate and couldn't, thank you, and to every one that could, thank you and to all the volunteers and nurses, thank you.

Ryan fell asleep last night at 11:45, tried to get him to go earlier but he just wouldn't and I have to pick my battles as we are in such a confined space, with no real routine. With that being said, we had a parent meeting yesterday, this is the first one I have attending, mostly because I was unsure of what they talked about and I did not want to get more upset than I already have been.

To my surprise it was nice, parents talked about what to expect when talking there children home, how to disipline our children on the unit. Some really good ideas came out of it..so I think I will go again next week...

Ryan's hair is falling out fast, this has made me very emotional, I knew it would happen, I even had his hair cut (brush cut) before we came in to lessen the effects to myself. I have realized it does not matter how short his hair is, it still comes out in batches... He woke this morning with hair in his face, on his pillow in his bed and he screamed...I have told him, it is ok and it will grow back.

We have made notes to our nurses, called I love my nurse because ( and the children have to fill out why) Ryan came up with, because they are pretty and they bring me pokemon stuff...so that is on the wall in the unit....we have also made Valentine bags...with stickers..Ryan did his all on his own, that is hanging outside his door...As I am going home today, I am going to pick up something small for each of the children on the ward to put in there bags.... We have already done there valentines cards....Theme :Kung Fu Panda...

Ryan woke up vomitting again this morning at 7:00 am and is very tired today.
His mouth looks swollen, and his lip are stuck in a pout like position, I think his mouth hurts as he had not said much today.
They have told me they will start a Morphine drip today to control his pain...He will also get his last dose of Methotrexate (chemo) to prevent to much graft vs host. This may make his mucositis worse.

Today, Mary Sunshine will be around and we have Bingo on TV at 2 pm...so that will occupy him for an hour or so, if he does not fall asleep first...

Counts today:

WBC - 0.1 up from > 0.1 this could mean the starts of engraftment or it may just fluctuate for a few day between 0.1 and >0.1.
RBC - 101 up from yesterday
PLT - 20 down again, expected.....they will not be transfusing as > 20 is when they transfuse unless and other indications, like bleeding gums, nose bleeds or any other form of a bleed.

I am so tired. This week has been very emtional and exhausting, but we knew this was going to happen and so far all as we say on the ward, if the Dr. say all of this is expected, then we are doing ok....

Tomorrow is Friday, I bet we are all looking forward to the weekend.

Hugs
XXXXXX

1 comment:

  1. Hi Suzie & Ryan, I have to say it is so hard not to cry when reading your blogs - it is truly amazing how strong you all are. As a mother it must torture to see your child go through such physical hardship - especially when so young. Ryan is blessed in the strength, love and commitment he receives from you and Dave. We are all blessed to have your family in our lives. Suzie you are truly an amazing woman and mother.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete